Monday, October 10, 2005

Inaugural post

There are two major categories of misuse of the word "literally:" 1) Use of the word to modify a phrase that is clearly capable of being literally true. Examples: "I am literally tired right now." "I literally ate the whole hamburger." 2) Use of the word to modify a phrase that cannot possibly be literally true, often a cliche. Examples: "You are literally getting on my last nerve!" "I literally paid an arm and a leg for those shoes." Both categories reveal common understanding and usage of "literally" as a word of emphasis, not of clarification. Yes, language evolves. But it also devolves. Send us your favorite examples of uses and misuses. This is your safe space to be annoying and literally anal retentive about language.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think litterbugs should be tortured to death and thrown in trashcans, too.
Literally.

3:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think litterbugs should be tortured to death and thrown in trashcans, too.
Literally.

3:42 PM  
Blogger aubra said...

torture ... hilarious.

1:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home